Fivrr

Saturday, June 9, 2012

My Very Detailed 1st Trip to Bangkok


Hi guys!

I went to BKK for the first time in September 2010. And below is my very detailed story about it. This is probably my longest blog ever, but if you are planning to visit BKK for the first time, this could prove to be helpful!

BKK is a country that I love coming back to over and over! Been here 3x the past 2 years and it had always been a great treat! This was also my first time to navigate a country all on my own, with the aid of Lonely Planet. Thanks!

Read along........

I travelled BKK through Philippine Airlines and I am quite happy with their seats. Aside from giving us KFC 1pc. chicken with rice and softdrink lunch due to the 2-hour delay of the flight, they also served good meals (rice meals) with endless add ons. I chose the beef curry over the chicken afritada and it tastes good. There were sidings like macaroni salad, small bread bun, mooncake (actually good type of moon cake), and choice of drinks (unlimited): wine, orange juice, coffee, water, pineapple juice. PAL's seats are comfy and has ample legroom. They also had functional headsets which I liked because the movie Letters to Juliet was showing and I have not seen it yet (the movie's ending sucks by the way, just your ordinary feel-good, which I believe could have ended better).

I arrived at the BKK Airport (Suvarnabhumi Airport) by 2pm of September 22, 2010. It is huge - a 550m walk toward the immigrations but no problem because there's a walkalator.
I went down thru the escalator after immigrations because I was well-read, and I know that the metered taxi charges at most 400Baht. It only reached 280B for me including 50B additional payment as it came from the airport. I think this 50B is commonly charged.

The Pullman Bangkok King Power Hotel is a blessing! Not only did it keep me full for my itineraries with its breakfast buffet but it also is very very near (walking distance, but there's a free Pullman Hotel Tuktuk Service too) the BTS or their railway transit or their SkyTrain. The tuktuk service goes to the century mall and back to the hotel. This mall is connected to the the Victory Monument Station of the BTS.


 For Day 1, September 23:

I went to the Grand Palace, Wat Poh, and unfortunately though I planned it, I missed the Wat Arun (Temple of Dawn) because it closes at 5pm. Anyhow, I enjoyed my stay at the Grand Palace and Wat Poh.

I left the hotel at 9:30am after a huge breakfast of salad, fruits, muesli, yoghurt, waffles, and of course, coffee. The tuktuk brought me to the century mall, then I walked upstairs to buy the train ticket. The train ticket is dispensed by the machine. You have to use coins. Minimum price is 25 Baht which is 3 coins. With this, you push the button 3 which means you are loading 3 coins. It dispenses change if you placed 3 x 10B and the fee is only 25B. Dont worry because there are also counters  ready with change (coins) in case you only have bills.

 From the Victory Monument station, i went down the 3rd stop which is the Siam station. This has an interchange connecting it with another BTS line. You have top go down the train and follow the directions in the ceiling stating "to Silom Line". You will have to take the Silom line which will be moving towards the direction of the wongwian yai station (last station of silom). Get off on the 5th stop , the Saphan Taksin station. Here you will add 20B.

Bangkok is very open to travelers so signs are everywhere. It is impossible to get lost because there are numbered exits for the specific places you wish to go to.



Downstairs from the Saphan Taksin Station, you will have to walk towards the Chao Praya River Taxi terminal. You will never miss it as long as you are particular with the signs. The Chao Praya River Taxi actually passes by all the temples and there is an unlimited ride for only 150B. However, i do not think the other temples are as grand as the Grand Palace, and there is nothing bigger than the Reclining Buddha at Wat Poh, so prioritize these 2. Both temples are beside each other.

I went off Maharaj Station riding the river taxi. I walked about 200meters to get to the entrance of the Grand Palace. It was quite hot yes, but no problem because trees covered the sidewalks and you'll be entertained by the many hawkers (food shops) and trinkets are everywhere. I actually bought a wide straw hat from here at 200B which is my saving grace from the sun (Buy one, you'll definitely need it. Or else bring an umbrella). I was not able to try their street food, they said it was clean and tasty. But since I was not yet in my forst stop, I missed the opportunity.



 Make sure you are dressed well getting inside the Grand Palace. Otherwise, you will have to buy a sarong. I wore a long dress with sleeves running down my elbows, and my get up won the approval of the security officers.

What a haven for photographers the Grand Palace is! Too bad you cannot take pictures inside the temples. Also, wear covered shoes that are easy to remove. You have to be barefoot inside the temples.

I managed to finish my photo opportunity by 3pm, including a short break at the bon voyage coffee shop inside the grand palace. 11am-3pm, not bad for a first stop, but imagine not being able to reach other places within the Grand Palace such as the Vimanmek Teak Mansion. Make sure you visit that as I believe it is the largest teak mansion, and is already part of the entrance fee to Grand Palace.

I went outside the Grand Palace and passed by the hawkers again. This time, it's a very short walk going to the Wat Poh, to your left when you exit GP. It was cheaper at 50B in entrance fee, smaller place but what really counts is the Reclining Buddha which is literally LARGER THAN LIFE! Best thing is this is the only temple where they allow picture taking but you still have to take off your shoes. There were many other things to see inside like candy colored architecture and temples, but I spent more time inside the Wat Poh Massage school. This is the house of the authentic Thai Massage. Costs 300B for a 55minute foot massage. I paid additional 40B as tip. It was very relaxing, really.

I planned to check out Wat Arun (Temple of Dawn) but when I asked a local, he told me it closes at 5pm, too bad. This man was very very nice enough to arrange a 20B tuktuk ride for me to reach the Temple of the Lucky Buddha, the Marble Temple, and the Exporters Jewelry place. However, as I dropped by the lucky Buddha, another local told me to visit the Oscars (jewelry shop) which is the supplier of Tiffany's and Cartier as they are on 95% discount and it ends on that same day. So much for the Marble temple. I rushed to the Oscars, but out of my good shopping heart, I managed to keep my dollars intact and left the store without any additional jewelry. I told the tuktuk to just bring me to the Golden Temple. Some local also told me there is a bangka ride here that will take me back faster to Siam Station, cutting my river taxi+Silom BTS trip. It was a good experience but the bangka docks really fast and leaves just as fast!  If you dont hop on it fast enough, it will leave. If you do not get off at once, they will take you to the next stop, seriously! Three men hovered along the sides to take your payment. I paid 9B, got off pattranahm Siam.

From pattranahm Siam was a long walk to Siam Paragon mall. Actually, I got delayed because I really stopped by McDonalds and Starbucks for the customary comparing of food. I ate at mcdonalds and it cost me around 120 Baht. At starbucks, I never found the bangkok mug so I postponed buying for the ff day. After dinner at McDonalds, I climbed the stairs leading to the skywalk. The skywalk is a very loong covered overpass which connects the chitlom station to the siam station of the BTS Sukhumvit Line. When I finally made it to the Siam Station, going through MBK mall, I just followed the usual route: hop on siam station and get off victory station.


My tuktuk ride




Reclining Buddha, never miss this!

 
Day 2, September 24, 2010:

I woke up late again today. As usual, I took my time taking a bath and enjoyed the buffet breakfast of the Pullman Hotel. Same huge breakfast of salad, fruits, muesli, but this time instead of waffles, i took a pancake and did not bother for coffee. Coffee dehydrates me so fast and with the weather, i opted to just load on a mixture of fruit juice. I mixed every fruit juice available.

Today my itinerary is Jim Thompson House Museum and shopping at the MBK. The route is the same. The only difference is that once you take the interchange station that connects the Sukhumvit and Silom BTS lines, you take the silom train that will lead to the National Stadium Station, that's just one station away from the interchange.

From the National Stadium, it took me some time to look for JT House. Most of the people in this area are not very good in English but still very helpful. I walked towards the other end (if you are facing the MBK mall, just turn right, on the right side of the street). JT House signage is such a small one that you really have to ask for directions. As I can remember, after a bank, I turned right again and that road led me to the museum. It was a long walk, about 500meters because it is at the end of that street.

JT House is an impressive collection of old stuff like Buddha, paintings, decorations. What really is amazing here is the life led by Jim Thompson in developing the silk industry and business of Thailand, combining it with his expertise as a creative person, since he graduated with a degree in Architecture.


Jim Thompson house, the garden area

Bangkok BTS station

Jim Thompson's House - garden
 JT House is definitely assisted by tour guides. I don't think one will be able to appreciate the place entirely without these guides, from which you can choose the batch with the language you want. At 100Baht, you can take photos all you want but only outside the house and in the garden area.

When I finished at JT House, i noticed some trivial stuff being sold along the small street. There's this small store in front of a house where I bought great quality chopsticks for only 100 Baht at 7 pairs. I also bought a puppet for only 250baht. I believe these are great finds since I never saw any of those stuff in the malls and anywhere else.

Since it took me some time to find JT Museum, I already knew where the MBK mall is. I stopped by the money changer first. the rates here are far better than the airport for about 500Baht more. This money changer is just right across the MBK mall, along the intersection.

The MBK mall is really a good mall. Similar to the budget malls in Manila (the greenhills shopping center). The items are definitely good quality, so invest on the shirts. If you buy 9 or 10 shirts, they will give you one for free. The cloth is thick and of good quality, the prints look like they will not wear out easily. If a friend of mine will travel to Bangkok, I will specifically ask for a shirt. The key chains and the brooches are also great steals! Not only do they look glamorous and expensive, they are very very affordable at 35-50Baht each. Aside from trinkets like pouches, frames, and other small souvenirs, I kept my Bahts inside my wallet.

I went back to the hotel to meet my friend as the original plan was to shop at siam paragon. Anywho, she allowed me the liberty of navigating MBK alone since she already went there a few days ago. On the way back to Pullman Hotel, I dropped by KFC. Their chicken steak is served with delicious curry sauce which I was able to watch in the commercial on the TV set inside the BTS Skytrain. It was delicious for only 65Baht with drink!

I changed my clothes because I no longer needed to wear conservative shirts. I went back to my usual shorts and blouses that are more comfortable considering the weather in Bangkok, which is about 29 degrees C.

As my friend and I arrived at the Siam Paragon by way of the BTS, we decided to eat a heavy meal first as early as 4pm at the Sizzler. This is because we will be navigating 3 malls and we needed the energy. The sizzler is oh so recommended. Upon ordering a main course which ranges from 175- 350 Baht, your soup and salad are offered in a buffet table! Yes, Soup and Salad all you can. Of course, you need to buy drink on top of that range.

The funny thing about the Siam Paragon and the Discovery Siam malls is that I was not able to buy anything from there. Both places are packed with great deals that I never imagines like high-end brands at 70% off! who knew? Crocs and all types of shoe brands are so cheap, I would always keep myself from buying thinking there's a next best offer. At the end of the day, you realize that these brands are not the reason you came to Bangkok and then I remembered all the uniquely Bangkok finds I bought on the street leading to JT Museum and when I dropped by MBK mall. So the verdict is never miss these places to buy some oh-so-truly unique Bangkok stuff.

KFC Thailand's chicken steak meal has a curry sauce, try it!!




Day 3, September 25, 2010 : just another leisurely breakfast at the Pullman Hotel

I was supposed to buy tickets to the Siam Ocean World (costs 950 Baht) but I knew i would not have enough time to insert an activity in the morning of Day 3. So i ended up enjoying my 3rd breakfast buffet at the Pullman Hotel, this time at a leisurely lazier pace. My friend even went to the gym and the spa while I had my breakfast. After breakfast, I packed my stuff, with all the strength I can since I bought so much, and realized i had plenty of unused clothes. This is another learning experience: it is really true that one should pack light. You can always buy extra clothes within your destination.

We hopped on the hotel car service and this brought us to the airport. I had a bit of  a sad feeling leaving the country because I loved it so much. The people are really nice and considering I was able to explore the place even at night on my own. Luckily I have my Starbucks bearista and mugs to remind me of this wonderful city.

My next stop? Backpacking Singapore - Kuala Lumpur- then back to SG. That's in January 27, 2011 =)

Bangkok King Power Pullman Hotel






No comments:

Post a Comment